Thursday, June 17, 2021

Robin's Guest Cabin

      It was over 25 years ago I started work on the little guest cabin. There had been some cedar logs left over from the building of the house/lodge and were put to good use.

The logs were flattened on three sides using a light weight Alaska chainsaw mill.
September 1994, cabin base going up.


 
In 1997 a bathroom was added onto the side.

The cabin has hosted many guests over the years, I've had provincial and federal government people stay that are out on land negotiations, geologists from foreign mining companies, environmental technicians, Gary the logger stayed one winter while he built a road in the area, theres been well known celebrities, and others at the top of their field, and then there was the newly weds that  never came out of there for two days.
Some guests weren't allowed inside...
Raymond the bear, admiring his reflection in the window. 1996
He would stand up to look, then quickly duck down when he saw a bear looking back at him.

After a quarter century the log shell was showing its age and decided I better break out the sander and grinder. Sanding off that layer of old sealer is a demanding, messy job that wrecks havoc on my lungs,not to mention my back, which has never fully recovered from the milling of the logs back in 1994.

 All the cedar trim came off to be sanded, and it was all quite a bit of work.

 If I had to pick the best part of the job, it would have to be the application of the sealer.
I plug the phones in and put my mp3 player in my shorts pocket, and zone out into paint mode.
At $80 a gallon I'm pretty careful to not spill any.
The first coat soaks in and dries for a few days, then a light sanding and I go all over it again with a second coat, which really brings out the gloss. That looks 100% better, and good for another couple decades I hope. I still have the backside to do yet, I'll tackle that in the spring, if I feel like it, but for now I need to move onto other projects as winter approaches.

 



 


4 comments:

  1. I love my Alaskan saw mill also. We use it for trail building here on the North Shore all the time when building the wood bridges on the Baden Powell.

    Clever use of the Ladder as your straight edge!

    I run a Stihl MS 046 on my Mill, your saw looks a tad larger. 066 perhaps?


    ReplyDelete
  2. Very fine and beautiful. Good think it has structural integrity or I'm sure Raymond would love to get inside. Not that he would try though. Great view, beautiful lodge.

    http://www.clearwaterlodge.ca/en/what_we_offer.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Robin! So nice to hear from you again. Hope all is well. The guest house looks great. Raymond also looks good. Do you still have your cats?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very beautiful spot! Robin is a wonderful host. Highly recommend :)

    ReplyDelete